From time to time, we are able to share seasonal recipes and tips on our Facebook page. Here’s one eggplant recipe from nutritionist, Carissa Mason:
- Slice your eggplant into discs about 1 cm thick and place in a large bowl. Coat in olive oil, Murray river salt flakes and cracked pepper.
- In a fry pan, cook the eggplant discs until they are soft on the inside and slightly crispy on the outside. Place the discs aside for now.
- In your fry pan lightly fry 3 cloves of crushed garlic, 1 red chilli seeded and diced and 1 medium diced brown onion in some olive oil. Now add about 3-4 diced ripe tomatoes and 1 cup of homemade tomato purée (passata will do if you don’t have home-made sauce) – and stir this through. Season with salt and pepper- add a dash of Shiraz if you want.
- On a plate layer 2-3 eggplant discs and spoon over some sauce. Top off with some torn buffalo mozzarella.
- Garnish with flat leaf parsley and any other herbs you like (mine always gets coriander as well). Squeeze some fresh lemon and balsamic glaze. Season with cracked pepper and a pinch of Murray river salt if required.
Hint: I sometimes crumb the eggplant in a nut and lupin-flake blend and shallow fry it for the real